Substance Abuse Unit

Substance Abuse Questions

Do you or does someone you know:

  • Drink or use drugs to forget about problems?

  • Drink or use drugs to feel relaxed or comfortable around other people?

  • Have family members with drug or alcohol problems?

  • Have conflicts with friends after drinking or using other drugs?

  • Ever feel guilty about drinking, drug use, or your behavior under the influence of alcohol or other drugs?

  • Ever have trouble remembering what was done or said while drinking or using other drugs?

  • Ever get drunk or high after making a conscious decision to stay sober/straight?

  • Drink until there is nothing left to drink, or use other drugs until the supply is exhausted?

  • Ever miss class because of a hangover?

  • Sometimes feel like your drinking or drug use is getting out of control?

An answer of YES to as few as two or three of these questions may indicate that you, or someone you know, could be at risk for an alcohol or other drug problem. Both the University and the local community offer programs and assistance for helping individuals with alcohol or other drug problems.

For help for yourself or a friend or family member with a drug or alcohol problem, please feel free to call if you have questions about how to handle the situation with which you are dealing.

For information and appointments, please call (301) 314-8106.

If you are looking for information about our education and outreach programs including peer education, alcohol and other drug speaker information, and/or prevention materials, please visit our Health Promotions page.

back to top

How to Make a Referral

Do you know someone who shows signs of drinking too much or using drugs? Has a student come to you looking for help for a friend? The Substance Abuse Intervention Programs can help you sort out what needs to happen. Here are a few tips on how to refer someone to a Substance Abuse Counselor for help.

Be honest about your own limitations. You are not a professional counselor, but you can help that person find the program that's right for them.

You may encounter some difficulty in persuading the student to seek help. Be as direct as possible. Be firm in summarizing how the problem is affecting the person, their friends, or family. At the same time be low-key and empathic. When someone feels another is threatening or is trying to run his or her life, he or she may put up a block. Find out how the student feels about a referral.

If the person is confused, overly anxious, or unable to cope, you can take responsibility for calling our office yourself—but do so only with the student’s permission. Relay the crucial information to the contact person. If possible, set up an appointment, preferably have the student beside you while you make the call.

Feel free to call if you have any questions about how to handle the situation with which you are dealing.

To Make A Referral: All students begin their contact with our intervention programs by making an initial appointment with a counselor.

 For information and appointments, please call (301) 314-8106.

back to top

Healthy TERPS

Alcohol use can affect many aspects of student life including academic performance, personal relationships, and opportunities for involvement and growth.

The Healthy TERPS program hopes to enhance the quality of the student experience and reduce high-risk drinking among University of Maryland students by providing alcohol screening and intervention.  Students meet with a Healthy TERPS counselor to discuss the ways in which alcohol may positively and negatively affect their student experience and explore ways to reduce negative effects of drinking.

Prior to each meeting students are required to complete e-CHUG, an online alcohol screening which allows students to in-put information about their drinking and provides them with personalized feedback about the negative consequences they might experience, and compares their drinking to other University of Maryland students.

For information and appointments, please call (301) 314-8106.

back to top



During the Fall and Spring semesters, drug testing is available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment for drug testing, please call (301) 314-8106. A photo ID is required for testing. There is a fee for this service.

Urine samples are collected, sealed and shipped to an off campus laboratory where the urine is tested using a Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer (GC/MS).

For information and appointments, please call (301) 314-8106.


back to top


back to top