Annual Gynecological Exam
Center for Women's Health
The annual gynecological exam includes a routine breast and pelvic exam, chlamydia and gonorrhea testing. A Pap test may also be recommended depending on your age and sexual history. We recommend women start Pap testing at age 21. All women of any age who are sexually active need a check up and screening for STI's at minimum once a year.
If you are preparing for your first pap & pelvic examination, the University Health Center strongly encourages you to read “Explaining the Pap & Pelvic Exam.” This handout should answer many of your questions and concerns, as well as best prepare you for what to expect!
A few things to keep in mind about your appointment
- Know the date of the first day of your last menstrual period. You should not be menstruating on the day of the exam.
- Avoid sexual intercourse, tampons, douching, and vaginal medications for at least 2 days prior to your visit.
For appointments, Click on MyUHC or please call (301) 314-8190.
select appointments may be made via the web at www.myuhc.umd.edu
- About the University Health Center
- Clinical Services
- Mental Health Services
- General Insurance FAQ's
- Mandatory Insurance Waiver
- Health Promotion
- Student Involvement
- New & Transfer Students
- Center for Health and Wellbeing
- Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Program
- Faculty & Staff Services
- For Parents
- Quality of Care Survey
|Proud member of the American College Health Association|