Annual Gynecological Exam
Center for Women's Health
The annual gynecological exam includes a routine breast and pelvic exam, chlamydia and gonorrhea testing. A Pap test may also be recommended depending on your age and sexual history. We recommend women start Pap testing at age 21. All women of any age who are sexually active need a check up and screening for STI's at minimum once a year.
If you are preparing for your first pap & pelvic examination, the University Health Center strongly encourages you to read “Explaining the Pap & Pelvic Exam.” This handout should answer many of your questions and concerns, as well as best prepare you for what to expect!
A few things to keep in mind about your appointment
- Lots of people get nervous and their minds go blank in health care situations, so it may be helpful to prep a little. You can make the best use of your time by writing down questions and bringing them to your visit. Our Terps Ask page may help you get started.
- Know the date of the first day of your last menstrual period.
- You should not be menstruating on the day of the exam - please call 301-314-8190 to reschedule.
- Avoid sexual intercourse, tampons, douching, and vaginal medications for at least 2 days prior to your visit.
For appointments, Click on MyUHC or please call (301) 314-8190.
select appointments may be made via the web at www.myuhc.umd.edu
- About the University Health Center
- Health Insurance
- Frequently Asked Questions: Insurance
- Clinical Services
- Mental Health Services
- Health Promotion & Wellness Services
- Student Involvement
- New & Transfer Students
- CARE to Stop Violence
- Faculty & Staff Services
- For Parents